In this article we will discuss the Precession of the Equinoxes in great detail. We have encountered this phenomenon throughout our discussions in Cosmic Core. We will now look at Precession in closer detail, as well as the extensive numeric symbolism associated with the precession.
Astrological Time Cycles
1 Decan = 10 degrees (out of 360º total of the celestial sphere)
1 Great Year (full precession) = 25920 years
1 Platonic Month = 2160 years
Sacred Year of Ancient Calendars = 360 days (5 days off – traditionally unlucky days). There are theories that the earth year was previously 360 days until a catastrophe occurred that knocked it out of harmony. Whether this is true or not, I do not know.
Below is a chart showing the numerical importance of the precession of the equinoxes as broken into seasons. Just like in a regular (solar) year, there are 4 seasons of 3 months each in a Great Year. Each season consists of 3 Platonic months (6480 years each) and a movement of 30º across the Great Celestial Sphere of 360º . Note the Platonic solid that corresponds to each Platonic Month. The numbers listed for each Platonic solid are the sums of the angles of each solid.
Period Duration in Duration in Annual Associated
Platonic Cycle cycle of Sacred Year (360 days) Platonic Solid
One Decan 720 years 10 days; 240 hrs; 1440 min tetrahedron 720
Two Decans 1440 years 20 days; 480 hrs; 28800 min octahedron 1440
Three Decans 2160 years 30 days; 720 hrs; 43200 min hexahedron 2160
Saros Cycle 3600 years 50 days; 1200 hrs; 72000 min icosahedron 3600
3 Platonic Months 6480 years 90 days; 2160 hrs; 129600 min dodecahedron 6480
One Great Year 25920 years 360 days; 6480 hrs; 518400 min One Great Year 25920
Earth Motion #1 – rotation about the axis (day cycle – 24 hours)
Earth Motion #2 – revolution around the sun (year cycle – 365.242 days)
Earth Motion #3 – Precession of the Equinoxes (galactic cycle – 25920 years)
The Precession of the Equinoxes
Each year the sun passes entirely around the zodiac and returns to the point from which it started – the vernal equinox – and each year it falls just a little short of making the complete circle of the heavens in the allotted period of time.
As a result, it crosses the equator just a little behind the spot in the zodiacal sign where it crossed the previous year.
Each sign of the zodiac consists of thirty degrees, and as the sun loses about one degree every 72 years, it regresses through the entire zodiac in about 25,920 years.
This retrograde motion is called the precession of the equinoxes.
This means that in the course of about 25,920 years, which constitute one “Great Year” or Platonic Year, each one of the 12 constellations occupies a position at the vernal equinox for nearly 2160 years, then gives its place to the previous sign.
This refers to the constellation that sits in line with the rising of the sun on the vernal equinox.
The period of 2160 years required for the regression of the sun through one of the zodiacal constellations is often termed an age.
This means every 2160 years a new constellation will rise behind the sun on the vernal equinox.
These 2160 year periods are the ‘ages’ of the Zodiac.
“During these periods, or ages, religious worship takes the form of the appropriate celestial sign – that which the sun is said to assume as a personality in the same manner that a spirit assumes a body.
These 12 signs are the jewels of the Sun’s breastplate and the Sun’s light shines forth from them, one after the other.
Among the ancients the sun was always symbolized by the figure and nature of the constellation through which it passed at the vernal equinox.”1
“From a consideration of this system, it is readily understood why certain religious symbols were adapted during different ages of the earth’s history; for during the 2160 years the sun was in the constellation of Taurus, it is said that the Solar Deity assumed the body of Apis, and the Bull became sacred to Osiris.
Apis the Bull on a 21st dynasty Egyptian coffin
During the Aryan Age the lamb was held sacred and the priests were called shepherds. Sheep and goats were sacrificed upon the altars, and a ‘scapegoat’ was appointed to bear the sins of Israel.
During the Age of Pisces, the Fish was the symbol of divinity and the Sun God fed the multitude with two small fishes. The word Fish, is one in which Christ is mystically understood, because He was able to live in the abyss of this mortality as in the depths of waters, that is, without sin.”2
The “Jesus fish”
Precession of the Equinoxes (Axial Precession)
The Earth completes a circuit around its own axis once every 24 hours. (A day)
The Earth also orbits the sun once every 365.2422 days. (A year)
The 4 cardinal points are the winter and summer solstices and spring and autumn equinoxes.
Equinoxes are “the two points in the year on which night and day are of equal length all over the planet”.
The Earth’s equatorial circumference is 24,902.45 miles.
The Earth orbits around the sun anti-clockwise on a slightly elliptical path traveling 66,600 mph (18.5 mps).
- Ecliptic – Earth’s plane of orbit extended outwards to form a great circle in the celestial sphere.
- Celestial equator – an extension of the earth’s equator into the celestial sphere
- Obliquity – Earth’s tilt
- The Earth tilts approx. 23.5° to the plane of its orbit around the sun.
- The 23.5 degrees is not fixed. There is a slow oscillation (wobble) and a cycle of about 41,000 years where it changes from 22.1° to about 24.5°.
- Eccentricity – the Earth orbit’s degree of elongation of the ellipse
- The eccentricity “varies from a low value close to zero (when the orbit approaches the form of a perfect circle) to a high value of about 6% when it is at its most elongated and elliptical.”
Past and future eccentricity of Earth’s orbit. http://aom.giss.nasa.gov/srorbpar.html
- Precess – the earth wobbles slowly in a clockwise direction opposite to the earth’s spin (gyroscopic motion).
David Wilcock explains, “The best way to understand this twenty-five-thousand year cycle is to imagine the earth as if it were a spinning top. Let’s say you have a top that is spinning clockwise at a fast speed. At first it stands up straight but then it starts tracing circles in the opposite direction – counterclockwise – as it slows down. Now imagine the earth is the top. Imagine you can see the earth’s axis, as if it were a solid bar running through the North and South Poles. Over the course of about 25,920 years, the earth’s axis makes a nice, slow circle in the opposite direction from the earth’s normal rotation – like the circles the top starts making as it winds down. This slow movement of the earth’s axis causes the position of the stars in the night sky, during the equinox, to shift by one degree every seventy-two years.”
Ringed around the ecliptic, in a starry belt that extends approximately 7° N and S are the 12 constellations of the zodiac: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces.
The constellations are irregular in size, shape and distribution, yet their spacing around the rim of the ecliptic is even enough to bestow a sense of cosmic order upon the diurnal rising and settings of the sun.
The annual year is divided into 4 seasons – spring, summer, fall, and winter.
The Great Year is also divided into 4 seasons – Spring (Taurus/Bull), Summer (Leo/Lion), Fall (Scorpio/Eagle), Winter (Aquarius/Man/Angel).
The ‘Precession of the Equinoxes’ occurs approximately every 26,000 (25,920) years as the sun rises in each of the 12 houses or constellations.
Each constellation occupies 30° of space along the ecliptic.
Giorgio de Santillana writes, “The sun’s position amongst the constellations at the vernal equinox was the pointer that indicated the ‘hours’ of the precessional cycle – very long hours indeed, the equinoctial sun occupying each zodiacal constellation for almost 2200 (2160) years.”
It takes about 72 years for the equinocitial sun to migrate 1 degree along the ecliptic.
The direction of precession is clockwise, opposite to the direction of the planet’s annual path around the sun (Taurus – Aries – Pisces – Aquarius…etc.) instead of (Aquarius – Pisces – Aries – Taurus…etc.).
Precession causes the northern pole star to shift over time (41,000 years).
The North Star changes through the Precessional Cycle:
- Alpha Draconis 3000 BC – time of the ancient Greeks
- Ursae Minoris (Polaris) today
- Cephei 8000 AD
- Deneb 10000 AD
- Vega 14000 AD
- Thuban Constellation of Draco
“The cycle of the precession does correlate very strongly with the onset and demise of ice ages.”3
This figure shows the variations in Earth’s orbit, the resulting changes in solar energy flux at high latitude, and the observed glacial cycles. Wikipedia states “According to Milankovitch Theory, the precession of the equinoxes and the apsides, variations in the tilt of the Earth’s axis (obliquity) and changes in the eccentricity of the Earth’s orbit are responsible for causing the observed 100 kyr cycle in ice ages by varying the amount of sunlight received by the Earth at different times and locations, particularly high northern latitude summer. These changes in the Earth’s orbit are the predictable consequence of interactions between the Earth, its moon, and the other planets.”
Graham Hancock – Fingerprints of the Gods
Graham Hancock is a well-known British author and reporter. He specializes in topics of ancient civilizations, altered states of consciousness, cosmic mythology and astrological data from the past. He has written many non-fiction books including his most famous, Fingerprints of the Gods.
In this book he argues that there is a unified, worldwide message from the “gods” hidden in ancient myths and dozens of different mythologies encode this information that revolves around the precession of the equinoxes.
The “gods” refer to extra-terrestrial consciousnesses that have taken part in Earth’s history in one way or another. These “gods” are more advanced than humanity – either more technologically advanced or more spiritually advanced, or both.
Dr. Giorgio de Santillana and Dr. Hertha von Dechend
Giorgia de Santillana (1902-1974; professor of the History of Science at MIT) and Hertha von Dechend (scientist at Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat) wrote the epic research book Hamlet’s Mill: An Essay on Myth and the Frame of Time.
Hamlet’s Mill “began a process of rediscovering an astronomical dimension of myths that had long been forgotten outside the secret societies. Their thesis is that one of the stories central to all mythology, indeed all literature from Oedipus Rex to Hamlet, the story of the dispossessed son who defeats his uncle to regain his father’s throne, is a description of an astronomical event: of one precessional epoch succeeding another.”4
In this book they looked at over 30 different worldwide mythologies.
They propose that “long ago, serious and intelligent people devised a system for veiling the technical terminology of an advanced astronomical science behind the everyday language of myth.”5
“For some inexplicable reason, at some unknown date, it seems that certain archaic myths from all over the world were co-opted (no other world will really do) to serve as vehicles for a body of complex technical data concerning the precession of the equinoxes.”6
A common symbol in these myths is the earth’s axis – or the axis mundi.
Yggdrasil – the World Tree or Axis Mundi
It seems to be saying there are two stars pulling on the earth’s axis that cause this wobbling movement.
Binary Star orbit (Binary Companion Theory)
Currently NASA’s Chandra website reports that over 80% of all stars in the universe are in multiple star systems containing 2 or more stars.
It has been proposed that the 25,920 years counter-rotating wobble (precession) is a result of the Sun’s orbit around a binary star.
Walter Cruttendon, Director of the Binary Research Institute in Newport Beach, CA discusses this idea in detail in the book Lost Star of Myth and Time and the documentary The Great Year.
Essentially, it is thought, we live in a binary solar system.
We orbit our companion star over the course of 25,920 years.
“Research done by physicist Jed Z Buchwald and astronomer Karl-Heinz Homann reveal that the heliacal risings of Sirius stay phase-locked to the precession of the vernal point (the intersection of the celestial equator and the ecliptic) over thousands of years, while all the other stars in the sky slip slowly backward.”7
The distance from our Sun to Sirius is 8.64 light years.
The center of our galaxy is about 8640 parsecs from Sirius.
1 parsec (parallax angle of 1 second of arc) = 64800/pi x the mean distance from the Earth to the Sun.
86400 seconds = 1 rotation of Earth (24 hours)
864000 miles = diameter of the Sun
Our companion star is Sirius.
The companion star has energy fields – geometry holds the stars into place.
Precession is caused by the gravitational pull of Sirius against the earth.
“The great orbit of our sun around another star – unknown to most people in our modern world – becomes like the mainspring and central axis in a windup clock. Let’s say the sun is orbiting another star, which is not bright enough to be easily visible. We can then use computer programs to mathematically round out that orbit into a perfect circle, in order to show it in its “idealized” form. This may be the natural form the orbit would take if it were not for the gas, dust, and pressure pushing on it as it orbits the center of the galaxy. If we regularize the orbit into a circle, the Mayan calendar cycle length then forms a perfect five-sided geometry within it. This geometry may be the hidden reason why the Mayan calendar works the way it does.”8
*Note – the Mayan calendar is a base-20 system. There are 20 vertices of a dodecahedron & 20 faces to an icosahedron.
Table of Mayan Long Count units
|1 Winal||20 K’in||20|
|1 Tun||18 Winal||360||1|
|1 K’atun||20 Tun||7,200||20|
|1 B’ak’tun||20 K’atun||144,000||394|
|1 Piktun||20 B’ak’tun||2,880,000||7,885|
|1 Kalabtun||20 Piktun||57,600,000||157,704|
|1 K’inchiltun||20 Kalabtun||1,152,000,000||3,154,071|
|1 Alautun||20 K’inchiltun||23,040,000,000||63,081,429|
Binary Star System
As we noted, 80% of all stars in our galaxy are already confirmed to be binary by NASA.
David Ulansey writes in The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries, “The Chaldeans distinguished between two fiery bodies: one possessed of a noetic nature and the visible sun.”
(Noetic means: relating to mental activity or intellect/consciousness)
The mystery teachings of Mithraism believed in binary star system.
“It thus appears that the Mithraists somehow believed in the existence of two suns: one represented by the figure of the sun god, and the other by Mithras himself as the “unconquered sun”. It is thus of great interest to note that the Mithraists were not alone in believing in the existence of two suns, for we find in platonic circles the concept of the existence of two suns, one being the normal astronomical sun and the other being a so-called “hypercosmic” sun located beyond the sphere of the fixed stars.”9
This second sun is sometimes referred to as the “Dark Star” or “Black Sun” in certain esoteric systems such as alchemy. Inevitably this “black sun” has taken on moral baggage and is associated with negativity or spiritual darkness.
Ancient yogis believed, including Sri Yukteswar, in The Holy Science: “The sun, with its planets and their moons, takes some star for its dual and revolves round it in about 24,000 years of our earth – a celestial phenomenon which causes the backward movement of the equinocitial points around the zodiac.”
The periapsis and apoapsis would create a system where the rate of precession would not stay constant, but would slow down and speed up depending on the geometric relationship of the two stars.
This is currently seen as the Precession time at 25,772 years.
- Periapsis – two stars at their closest point in their orbits. Both stars would be moving at their maximum velocity (possibly 23,000 years).
- The stars remain opposite each other through the orbit period.
- Apoapsis – two stars at their farthest point in their orbits. Both stars would be moving slowest (possibly 26,000 years).
The faster we move through space, the faster time moves – time accelerates.
It is argued, that as we speed up, we have an increase in density of the Aether as we move through different ‘zones’ in solar and galactic domains. This means the base rate vibration of the photon increases or decreases as we move through different ages.
The relationship of the minimum to maximum rates of precession is 72:60 or 6:5.
The average rate of precession for the Great Year is 66.66 years per degree.
And remember, the Earth orbits around the sun traveling 66,600 mph.
These are some of the reasons the number 666 is the number of the Sun, though it has become, in our modern times, the number of the Beast. Aside from the obvious religious stories, perhaps this is because the Sun has moved into a cosmic zone in which the base rate of vibration has slowed and this leads to people acting ‘beastly’ towards one another, themselves, animals and Nature – in other words we are in the Age of the Kali Yuga – the age of materialism, corruption and hypocrisy. Many humans act like beasts indeed.
Important Precessional numbers include:
12, 30, 36, 54, 72, 108, 144, 360, 540, 2160, 4320, 25920
- 12: Number of constellations in the zodiac
- 30: Number of degrees allocated along the ecliptic to each zodiacal constellation
- 36: Number of years required for the equinoctial sun to complete a precessional shift of half a degree along the ecliptic.
- 54: 72 + 36 = 108; 108/2 = 54 which may then be multiplied by 10 and expressed as 540 (or as 54,000 or as 540,000 or as 5,400,000 and so on).
- 72: Number of years required for the equinoctial sun to complete a precessional shift of one degree along the ecliptic. This means that 72 years = 1 “day” of Precession. 72 x 360 = 25920 or 1 “Great Year”.
- 108: The pre-eminent number in the code is 72. To this is frequently added 36, making 108, and it is permissible to multiply 108 by 100 to get 10,800.
- 144 = 12 x 12
- 360 – total number of degrees in the ecliptic
- 2160 = 72 x 30 = the number of years required for the sun to complete a passage of 30 degrees along the ecliptic (through one of the 12 zodiacal constellations).
- 2160 is sometimes multiplied by 10 and by factors often (to give 216,000, 2,160,000, and so on)
- 4320 – (2160 x 2) number of years required for the equinoctial sun to complete a precessional shift of 60 degrees (2 constellations).
- Multiplied by factors of 10 gives 43,200 or 432,000 or 4,320,000, ad infinition.
- 25,920 = 2160 x 12 (or 360 x 72) = the number of years in one complete precessional cycle or ‘Great Year”, and thus the total number of years required to bring about the “Great Return”.
Importance of the Precessional Numbers
- number of edges of the cube and octahedron
- number of vertices of the icosahedron & cuboctahedron
- number of faces of the dodecahedron & rhombic dodecahedron
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12
- 12 spheres fit perfectly around 1 to define a cuboctahedron (vector equilibrium)
- 12 hours on a clock face
- 12 x 2 hours in a day
- 12 cranial nerves in the human body
- 12 houses of the Zodiac
- The sum of the first four squares (1 + 4 + 9 + 16)
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 20, 15, 30
- Number of edges of the Icosahedron & Dodecahedron
- 30 vertices in Icosidodecahedron (Archimedean solid)
- Triagontagon – polygon with 30 sides
- Total number of major and minor keys in Western tonal music
- Number of days in April, June, September, November
- The number of uprights that form the Sarsen Circle at Stonehenge
- square of the first perfect number (6 x 6)
- the smallest number with exactly 9 divisors
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36
- The number of degrees in the interior angle of a regular pentagram
- 36 edges in truncated cube and truncated octahedron (Archimedean solids)
- The sum of the integers from 1 to 36 = 666
- 36 multiplied by any other number always produces an answer whose individual digits, in decimal, add up to a multiple of nine.
- The number of inches in a yard
- Can be written as the sum of three squares in three different ways:
- 72 +22 + 12 = 62 + 32 + 32 = 52 + 52 + 22 = 54
- The sine of a 54 degree angle is half the golden ratio
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 18, 27, 54
- The number of cards in a deck of playing cards, with 2 jokers included
- number of colored squares on a Rubik’s cube
- 540 – sum of angles of a pentagon
- The Sun moves through 1 degree of Precession every 72 years
- 72 degrees F – considered ‘room temperature’
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 72
- The sum of 4 consecutive primes: 13 + 17 + 19 + 23
- 72 = The exterior angles of a regular pentagon
- 720 = sum of the angles of a tetrahedron
- 720 = sum of angles of a hexagon
- 2160/3 = 720
- 720 x 11 = 7920 = Diameter of the Earth in miles
- 720 x 12 = 8640; 8640 x 10 = 86400 = number of seconds in a day
- 720 x 12 = 8640 x 100 = 864000 = diameter of the Sun in miles
- 720 x 14 = 10080 = sum of angles of icosidodecahedron
- The sum of the angles of every single Platonic solid, Archimedean solid and Catalan solid are all factors of 72!
- 11 x 22 x 33 = 108
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 27, 36, 54, 108
- 108 = degrees in interior angles of a regular pentagon
- The equation 2sin(108/2) = the golden ratio
- 108 degrees F – temperature at which organ failure begins in the human body
- 360 x 3 = 1080 = radius of the Moon
- The distance of the Earth from the Sun is approx. 108 times the diameter of the Sun (105.7 to 109.3)
- that is, approximately 108 suns fit between the Earth and Sun
- 108 Moons fits between the Earth and Moon
- 108 Earths fit in the sun (diameter-wise)
- 108 is a sacred number in Hinduism, Buddhism & Jainism
- 1080 – sum of angles of an octagon
- 2160/2 = 1080
- 1440 – sum of angles of a star tetrahedron – 2 x 720 = 1440 degrees
- 1440 – sum of angles of a octahedron
- 1440 – sum of angles of a decagon (10 sides)
- 144 is the 12th Fibonacci number
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 16, 18, 24, 36, 48, 72, 144
- 144 cubits = 216 feet (x 10) = diameter of the Moon (2160) & 1 Great Month (2160 years)
- 144 months in 12 years
- 1440 Minutes in a day
- 144 sq inches = 1 square foot
- 122 = 12 x 12 = 144
- 12 Disciples of Jesus & Buddha
- 12 circles clustering around 1 (Fruit of Life/Cuboctahedron)
- 12 Constellations or Houses of the Zodiac
- 12 Ages of the Precession of the Equinoxes
- 12 Hours on a clock face
- 144,000 smooth white casing stones covered the Great Pyramid
- 144,000 days = 1 Mayan baktun (394.26 years)
- Earth turns on its axis 24 hours:
- 24 hours x 60 minutes = 1440 minutes/day
- 1440 x 60 seconds = 86400 seconds/day
- 86400 (x 10) = 864000 = diameter of the Sun
- 360 degrees in a circle
- 360 – sum of angles of a square (90 x 4)
- 3600 – sum of angles of an icosahedron
- 2160/6 = 360
- Divisors – 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 24, 30, 36, 40, 45, 60, 72, 90, 120, 180, 360 (24 total)
- the smallest number divisible by every natural number from 1 to 10 except 7
- Divisor of 72; 72 primes below 360
- the sum of 2 twin primes (179+181)
- The number of days in a year, once upon a time?
- 432,000 miles – radius of the Sun
- 43200 – preeminent sacred numbers
- shows up in yuga cycle
- Phrygian scale – 432 – Pythagorean tuning
- 432 – based on a “Factor-9” Grid in Pythagorean tuning
- Solfeggio frequency – 432 Hz
- 864,000 seconds in a day or
- 432,000 seconds of light (day)
- 432,000 seconds of darkness (night)
- 4322 = 186,624 miles/second (speed of light)
- 432 the only whole number when squared comes into .01% accuracy measuring the speed of light
- 144000/432 = 333.33333..
- 13 x 33.3 = 432.9
- 4320 – (2160 x 2) number of years required for the equinoctial sun to complete a precessional shift of 60 degrees (2 constellations). Multiplied by factors of 10 gives 43,200 or 432,000 or 4,320,000, ad infinitum.
- 2160 = 1 Great Month (1 Zodiacal Age) in the 25,920 Great Year (Precession of the Equinoxes)
- 12 x 2160 = 25920: length of a Great Year
- cube = 2160 (sum of interior angles)
2160 (related to 432)
- cube = 2160 (sum of interior angles)
- 432/2 = 216
- 2160/2 = 1080 = octagon
- 2160/3 = 720 = hexagon
- 2160/4 = 540 = pentagon
- 2160/5 = 432
- 2160/6 = 360 = square and circle
- 2160 = diameter of the Moon (half 432)
- The diameter of the Sun (twice 432) = 864,000 (432000 x 2)
- 2160 x 12 (or 360 x 72)
- the number of years in one complete precessional cycle or ‘Great Year”, and thus the total number of years required to bring about the “Great Return”
Great Year divided into 12 Months: (The Wheel of the Great Year)
Month 1: 2160 Years 1 Great Month
Months 2: 4320
Month 3: 6480 1 Great Season
Month 4: 8640
Month 5: 10800
Month 6: 12960 1 Half Cycle (2 Seasons)
Month 7: 15120
Month 8: 17280
Month 9: 19440 3 Seasons
Month 10: 15120
Month 11: 23760
Month 12: 25920 1 Great Year
To review we will once again take a look at the numbers associated with the regular polygons, regular polyhedra (5 Platonic solids) and the 13 Archimedean solids. We come back to this information again and again in hopes that it will drive home the point that time is structured geometrically and has to do with cosmic bodies moving through unseen or invisible geometric space domains. This geometric structure of time and space is a result of the geometric structure of the Aether on all scales, including the geometric structure of the orbits of the planets and Suns.
Note how the Precessional numbers are embedded within the Platonic solids and the Platonic solids are embedded within the Precession of the Equinoxes.
|Shape||Sides||Sum of Interior Angles||Each Angle|
|Volume||Shape of Face||# of Faces||# of Edges||# of Corners||Sum of Degrees|
|Sum of All||14400|
|Volume||# of Faces||# of Edges||# of Corners||Sum of Degrees|
|Sum of All||165,600|
Precessional Numbers in Myth, Religion & Architecture
To end this article we will take a quick glance at the importance Precessional numbers play in myth, religion and architecture.
The Precession of the Equinoxes and its corresponding consequences are one of the most important topics of the esoteric stream of knowledge. It plays a huge role in both science and spirituality, as well as in ancient wisdom and modern understanding of where we may be headed as a civilization of human beings on planet Earth.
The entire topic comes back to the evolution of consciousness and the belief that we are cosmic beings having an earthly adventure.
- 12 Houses of the Zodiac
- 12 disciples of Jesus
- 12 disciples of Buddha
- 12 retainers of Osiris
- 12 ordeals of Gilgamesh
- 12 labors of Hercules
- 12 sons of Biblical Jacob
- 12 tribes of Israel
- 12 petals in the Anahata (heart chakra)
- Vedic kings surrounded by 12 nobles
- Norse god Odin and his 12 counselors/12 sons
- Dalai Lama’s Round Council of 12 great Namshans
- King Arthur and his Round Table of 12 knights; he subdued 12 rebel princes; won 12 great battles
- 12 gods and goddesses presided over by Zeus (12 Olympians)
The Procession of the 12 Olympians. Procession = Precession
- 12 powers of Apollo – Greek sun god
- 12 ships sailed by Odysseus, commanded by 12 followers
- 12 rowers in the ship with Ra
- 12 stones chosen by Joshua
- 12 harvesters in the Egyptian field of Amenti
- 12 vultures appearing to Romulus indicating the exact site of Rome in Roman myth
- 12 bronze tablets in ancient Rome bearing Roman law
- 12,000 people sealed from each of the 12 tribes of Israel – making 144,000 total
- special significance in Jewish tradition
- 36 hours, the light shone on the first day of Creation
- Torah commands 36 times to love, respect and protect the stranger
- 36 righteous people in each generation
- 36 candles lit for Hanukkah over 8 days, not including the Shamash candle
- megaliths of Baalbek in Lebanon – temple surrounded by 54 columns of immense size and height
- Temple of Angkor – has 5 gates with 5 roads – each road is bordered by 108 gigantic stone figures, 54 on each side (540 in all)
- Java’s temple of Borobudur – 72 bell-shaped stupas
- 72 major temples found at Angkor, seat of the ancient Khmer Empire
- 72 names of God in Kabbalistic tradition
- 72 houri each Muslim martyr shall receive according to Islamic belief
- Osiris was enclosed in a coffin by 72 evil disciples and accomplices of Set.
- In Rig-Veda 1:164 we read of the 12-spoked wheel in which 720 sons of Agni are established
- 108 Mukhya Shivaganas in Hinduism
- 108 prayer beads for japa in Hinduism
- Recitation of lord Shiva’s names 108 times
- 108 gopis of Vrindavan
- 108 beads on the Buddhist rosaries
- 108 volumes of the Buddha’s words – Kangyur
- Zen priests 108 prayer beads on their juzu
- In Japan, at the end of the year, a bell is chimed 108 times in Buddhist temples
- Rosicrucian tradition speaks of cycles of 108 years (72 + 36)
- 10,800 bricks in the Agnicayana, Indian fire altar
- 10,800 stanzas in the Rig-Veda – each stanza has 40 syllables; entire composition has 432,000 syllables
- 144,000 saved in the Rapture prior to the Apocalypse – Christian Bible
- The Wall surrounding the Holy City in Revelations = 144 cubits
- Norse myth of 432,000 fighters
- ancient Chinese traditions consisting of precisely 4320 volumes
- Babylonian historian Berossus ascribed a total reign of 432,000 years to the mythical kings who ruled the land of Sumer before the flood
- Berossus ascribed 2,160,000 years to the period between creation and universal catastrophe
- 360, 72, 30, 12 – show up in the Osiris myth
- relevant numbers show up in the Mayan long count
- (1 Katun = 7200 days; 1 Tun = 360 days; 2 Tuns = 720 days; 5 Baktuns = 720,000 days; 5 Katuns = 36,000 days; 6 Katuns = 43,200 days; 6 Tuns = 2160 days; 15 Katuns = 2,160,000 days
- Chinese secret societies (Triads) have initiation fees in multiples of 80, 3.60, 7.20, 10.80, 18, 36, 72, 108, 360, 720, 1080…etc.
- In Indian’s Puranas (sacred scriptures) they speak of 4 ages of the earth called Yugas, which are said to extend to 12,000 divine years
- Krita Yuga – 4800
- Treta Yuga – 3600
- Dvpara Yuga – 2400
- Kali Yuga – 1200
We will discuss the yugas in more detail in the next article.
As always, the important point is to see how geometry, especially the Platonic solids and associated compounds, is the fundamental driving force of cosmic arrangement of bodies in space as well as how those bodies move throughout time.
- Hall, Manly P. The Secret Teachings of All Ages, Philosophical Research Society, 2003
- Hancock, Graham, Fingerprints of the Gods, Three Rivers Press, 1996
- Booth, Mark, The Secret History of the World, The Overlook Press, 2010
- Hancock, Graham, Fingerprints of the Gods, Three Rivers Press, 1996
- Onstott, Scott, Taking Measure: Explorations in Number, Architecture, and Consciousness, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2012
- Wilcock, David, The Synchronicity Key: The Hidden Intelligence Guiding the Universe and You, Dutton, 2014
- Cabrera Darquea, Javier, The Message of the Engraved Stones of Ica, Plaza De Armas, Bolivar, 1994, labyrinthina.com